Class – IX HOME SCIENCE
One Theory paper, Time : 3 Hours, 75 Marks
Unit I: Concept and Scope of Home Science. (05 Marks)
Unit II : Family-a unit of society : Type & size of family; reasons for change in family types, effect of size on welfare of its members, role of family members in its smooth functioning. ( 10 Marks)
Unit III : Food and its relation to health: Definition of food, health, nutrition, nutrients and balanced diet, functions of food (10 Marks)
- energy giving
- growth and repair
- protection against diseases
- regulation of body functions
- psychological satisfaction
- sociological function
- Inter relationship betwen food and health.
Unit IV: Methods of cooking : boiling, steaming, pressure cooking, frying, roasting & baking brief description of each & suitability for foods. (10 Marks)
Unit V: Functions of a home : protective and social characteristics of functional house-security, light, ventilation, sanitation (brief description of disposal of waste water, garbage and human excreta) & surroundings. (10 marks)
Unit VI : Safety in the house : prevention of accidents in the kitchen and bathroom-cuts, falls, burns, electric shock, poisoning,safe use of fuels; first-aid given to cuts, bruises,burns, scalds, poisoning,shocks & bites. (10 marks)
Unit VII : Fabrics available in the market : Definition of fibre and yarn; classification of fibre on the basis of origin and length; yarn making, blends,construction of fabric-weaving (Different types of weaves-plain, twill and stain), felting and knitting; characteristics of fibres-length, durability, absorbency, heat conductivity resilience and elasticity; effect of heat, moth and mildew, acids and alkalis. (14 marks)
Unit VIII : Selection of clothes : factors affecting selection
- fabric related factors (characteristics of fibre, fabric construction)
- person related factors-age, occupation occasion, fashion, figure, comfort
- Other factors-climate & cost 06
Practicals (25 marks)
- Observe your own family for -type, size & role of each member. Record the activities of all members on any one typical day of the family.
- Observe food preparation using different methods and record taste, texture, colour of ready food.
- Prepare food using different methods of cooking.
- Study your own house for light ventilation, disposal of waste water and surroundings and record your observations.
- Study your house for measures of safety against accidents and give suggestions for improvement.
- Practice giving first aid to cuts, burns, fevers, scalds and bites.
- Collect samples of fabrics available in the market and present a comparative picture on the basis of cost (optional), durability, appearance and suitability.
- Identification of fabric-physical appearance and burning test.