Class X HOME SCIENCE (Theory)
Time : 3 Hours, One Paper, Marks : 75 + 25
Unit I : Principles of growth and development of child; growth and development of children between birth to 3 years. Important milestones in physical, motor, social, emotional and language development of children; physical, social and emotional needs of children (10 marks)
Unit II : Role of books, music rhymes, games, radio, TV & Video, in the life of a child upto 3 years of age. (4 marks)
Unit III : Play : Meaning, need and types of play in children between birth & 3 yrs; Characteristics of play-active, passive, natural, serious and exploratory Play materials for children- Characteristics of play material (5 marks)
Unit IV : Nutrients : Functions, sources and deficiency of Carbo hydrates, proteins, Fats Minerals-Iron, Calcium and Iodine and Vitamins- Vitamin A, B, B2, Vitamin C and Vitamin D. Loss of nutrients during cooking, conservation and enhancement of nutrients (7 marks)
Unit V: Meal Planning : Concept, need and factors affecting meal planning-age, sex, climate, occupation, physical needs, number of family members, economic status of family, availability of food, family traditions, likes and dislike and occasion; Food Groups (Basic : 5 suggested by ICMR); Use of food groups in planning balanced diet, food allowances suggested by ICMR. (6 marks)
Unit VI : Food hygiene & methods of storage of food : Rules of hygienic handling of food, Method of storage of perishable, semi-perishable and non-perishable foods. (6 marks)
Unit VII : Resources available to family : Types of resources-Human (Energy, time, knowledge and skill) Non-Human (money, material goods and community resources); general characteristics of resources, wise use of resources; personal & shared: (6 marks)
Unit VIII: Money Management : Family income and expenditure and importance of saving & Investment (6 marks)
Unit IX : Consumer Education : Consumer rights and responsbilities, consumer problems, malpractces of traders-price variation, poor quality, adulteration, faulty weights and measures, nonavailability of goods, misleading information, lack of standardised products, misleading advertisement, aids to help consumers-standardisation marks, labels, packages, advertisement, Pamphalets & Leaflets. ( 6 marks)
Unit X: Care of clothes : Cleaning and finishing agents used in everyday care of clothes in the homes: stain removal (precautions and methods); laundering and storage of cotton, silk, wool and synthetics. (14 marks)
Unit XI : Quality check of apparrel : Workmanship of readymade, tailor made garment, reading of lables on clothes. (5 marks)
HOME SCIENCE (Practical)
Practicals: 20+5(sessional work)= 25
- Observe and record physical and motor characteristics of a child at any given stage between 03 yrs of age.
- Observe play activities of children betwen 1-3 yers of Record their interests and characteristics of play materials.
- Make a suitable play object for a child between 0-3 yrs.
- Prepare dishes using methods of enhancement of nutrients.
- Prepare useful household items recycling waste materials.
- List any five malpractices you have observed in the market.
- Practice basic stitches-tacking, running, hemming and back stitch.
- Remove common stains-curry, paint, ball pen ink, lipstic, blood, rust, tea & coffee.
- Launder and finish cotton, silk, wool and synthetic articles.
- Examine quality of a sitched garment.
- Read lable on a ready made garment.
Note : Students are required to maintain record of practical work undertaken in the academic session.